Recruitment Process and Tips
It is Lanark County’s goal to attract and retain the best talent to deliver optimum client service.
Below is a breakdown of our recruitment process and some tips to help you prepare for applying for a position with Lanark County.
Our recruitment process has 7 steps.
[+] 1. Job Opportunity – What is listed on a job ad?
- Job title and job posting number
- A general description of the job
- Length and location of assignment
- Hours of work
- Salary/rate of pay
- Union group (if applicable)
- Statement of accommodation
- How to apply and application deadline
[+] 2. Application process – How can I apply?
- Reference the job posting number on the email subject line, cover letter and résumé.
- Preferred method of submitting your application is by email. The email address is specified on the job posting.
- Applications will also be accepted by fax to 613-267-2539, mail or by hand at the Lanark County Administrative Building, 99 Christie Lake Road in Perth, ON.
- Select only one method to forward your application. Duplication is not necessary.
- All applications must be received before the deadline submission date.
- You will receive an automatic acknowledgement confirming receipt of your application (email submissions only).
[+] 3. Screening – How are applications screened?
- The hiring managers and a member of our HR team evaluate all resumes to determine if candidates have the combination of education, skills and experience that are required for the job.
- Only candidates that are shortlisted through the screening process will be contacted for an interview.
[+] 4. Interviews – What can I expect at the interview?
- Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled interview.
- Upon arrival at the interview, a Reference Check Consent Form must be completed. You may wish to bring your documented references with you to attach to the Reference Check Consent Form. Please note that references are only contacted in the event that a job offer is being considered.
- If you require accommodation please let us know when contacted to schedule an interview so that we can ensure that we have the necessary accommodations in place.
- It is common practice for the interview panel to consist of two to four panel members. The interviews are generally formal in nature.
- Questions are based on the experience, knowledge and skills (competencies) required for the position.
- Interviews are typically between 45 minutes to an hour, but may be longer depending on the position.
- A second interview may be required.
Interview etiquette and suggestions:
- To ensure that the health and safety of our employees is protected, candidates are requested to adhere to Lanark County’s "No Scent" Guidelines. Simply put, please refrain from using personal scented products when you attend an interview.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled interview.
- An overview of the interview process and it’s structure will be provided at the beginning of the interview.
- Don’t hesitate to ask that a question be repeated to ensure full understanding of the question.
- Lanark County utilizes credential and experience verification questions, behavioural and situational questions, competency questions, etc. in the interview process.
- Opportunity will be provided to the candidate at the end of the interview to allow them to ask any questions that they may have about the position and/or the recruitment process.
[+] 5. Testing – What types of testing can I expect?
Upon contact to arrange an interview, Human Resources will notify candidates if a testing component will be part of the recruitment process.
There are a variety of tests that Lanark County administers. As part of the recruitment process, you may be required to complete one or more of the tests below:
- Aptitude tests
- Technical tests
- Computer skills assessments
You may also be required to complete an assignment in advance of the interview. Reasonable notice of this requirement is provided to all candidates. The assignment may include:
- A written report
- A presentation
- A written report with accompanying presentation
[+] 6. Referencing – How is referencing done?
- Reference Check Consent Form - Candidates will be asked to complete an authorization to check references upon arrival for the interview. You may wish to bring your documented references with you to attach to the Reference Check Consent Form.
- Candidates are required to provide three work related references with at least one of them being a current supervisor (if currently employed) or previous supervisors, managers or other individuals that they may have reported to. Please note that references are only contacted in the event that a job offer is being considered.
[+] 7. Job Offer/Notification if unsuccessful – How do I know if I am successful or not?
- The Hiring Manager will contact the successful candidate and proceed with a verbal offer and will review the terms and conditions of the employment offer. The verbal offer of employment is followed by a letter of offer.
- Unsuccessful candidates who participated in an interview will be contacted via telephone upon receipt of written acceptance by the successful candidate. Lanark County is prepared to provide constructive feedback to unsuccessful candidates at their request.