The CAO and Clerk are available to commission a document at the administration building by appointment only. The Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act allows Municipal Clerks and other Officials (also known as Commissioner of Oaths) to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths.

How to book an appointment

Contact the Clerk's Office to make an appointment by emailing or by calling 613-267-4200 ext. 1199 in order to:

  • Ensure that there is a Commissioner of Oaths available
  • Get assistance in determining if the Commissioner is authorized to sign your document(s)

This service may also be available through your local Municipal office.


Lanark County does not charge a fee to commission a document.


Verified documents containing sworn statements are known as affidavits. Lanark County can sign affidavits. All parties required to sign the document must be present and must provide valid photo identification in order to have a document commissioned.

You may need an affidavit or declaration when you're:

  • in court, for example, small claims, family and/or civil court
  • transferring ownership of a used vehicle to another person
  • gifting a used vehicle to a member of your family
  • applying for a municipal licence or an exception to a zoning restriction (also known as a zoning variance)

Notary Public

Lanark County does not have a Notary Public on staff. If you require Notary Services, please contact a lawyer and/or notary public by checking your local listings.

Contact Us