Absences from RGI Units

For a household paying rent-geared-to-income (RGI), Lanark County's guideline for social housing sets 90 days as the maximum number of days that all members of the household can be "absent" or not living in their unit while continuing to receive a rent-geared-to-income subsidy.

If all members of a household are away for more than 90 days in a row or more than 90 days within a 12-month period, and have not informed Lanark County Housing, they could lose their RGI subsidy.

Please tell us if you are in hospital, in rehabilitation, awaiting trial or have documentation to support another valid reason for being away from your unit longer than 90 days.

 Annual Review
 If you pay rent-geared-to-income, we will send you a rent review package once a year. The package includes forms that you must fill out to report the income of everyone in your household. You must complete and return these forms by the specified deadline. If you do not, you could lose your rent-geared-to-income subsidy.
 Under the Residential Tenancies Act, you can be evicted if you:
  • Have more people living in your unit than is allowed by health, safety or property standards.
  • Have people not listed on your lease living in your unit.
  • Misrepresent your income or the income of anyone else living with you while you pay rent-geared-to-income.
  • Violate the terms of your lease.

The Residential Tenancies Act also says that you can be evicted if you or your guest, visitor or other occupant:

  • Willfully or negligently cause serious damage to your unit or to the building.
  • Act in a way that interferes with the reasonable enjoyment of other residents.
  • Threaten the safety of another resident.
  • Break the law on Lanark County Housing property.

Read Lanark County Housing Policy on Evictions for Cause for more information.

Eviction for Arrears

Under the Residential Tenancies Act, you can be evicted if you do not pay your rent. Read Lanark County Housing Eviction Prevention Policy for more information.

Lanark County Housing works with tenants who fall behind in their rent payments to help them meet their responsibilities and, when possible, to keep their housing.

Eviction is always a last resort

Your unit is your home, and we want to help you keep it by working together. If you are having trouble paying your rent, please let us know right away.

The Legal Clinic

The Legal Clinic provides free legal advice and representation to people in their communities.


 Moving Out

Giving notice

When you are ready to move out, you must give notice in writing 60 days (two full calendar months) before you plan to move, and the move-out date must be the last day of a month.

Returning keys

You must return all unit keys before you leave. Your rental account will be charged if you do not return them.

Rent and other charges

You are charged and responsible for the rent up to the end of the 60-day (two full calendar months) period after giving in your notice, even if you need to move out earlier. For example:

  • If you gave written notice on March 1, you will pay rent for March and April and will move out before May 1.
  • If you gave written notice on February 15, you will pay rent until April 30 and move out before May 1.

You are responsible for the cost of:

  • Repairing any damage you caused to the unit.
  • Cleaning your unit if it is dirty when you leave.
  • Disposing of any items you leave behind.


Lanark County Housing staff will inspect your unit shortly after you give written move-out notice. They will inspect it again after you have moved out. Your unit should be in its original condition. You will be charged for any damage to your unit beyond normal wear and tear.

Former tenant arrears

To apply for rent-geared-to-income housing in the future, you must have a repayment agreement in place and be in good standing if you owe any former tenant arrears to a social housing provider.

Lanark County Housing will not approve market rental or affordable rental applications if the applicant is a former tenant with Lanark County Housing with former tenant arrears. Arrears can be from unpaid rent, parking, maintenance, legal fees and any other charges. Arrears must be paid in full to be considered for any new market rental or affordable rental vacancies.


 Over-housed and Under-housed

Over-housed transfers

If you are a rent-geared-to-income household and you are living in a unit that is too large for your household as outlined in the County's Occupancy Standards, you will be added to the internal transfer list. Staff will work with you to find a unit that is the right size for your household.

If you have been over-housed for 12 months or longer and have refused an offer from either the internal transfer list, you may lose your rent-geared-to-income (RGI) subsidy. A household that loses their subsidy must pay the market rent and may remain in their unit.

Under-housed transfers

If you are a rent-geared-to-income household and living in a unit that is too small for your household based on the County's Occupancy Standards, you may apply for an under-housed transfer.

 Rent Payment Options

 Your rent is due on the first day of the month, every month. You can pay your rent in one of the following ways:

Pre-authorized payment (PAP)

This is the easiest way to make sure your rent is always paid on time. For pre-authorized rent payment, your bank sends your rent payment from your bank account directly to Lanark County Housing every month. You will get a form to set up this type of payment when you sign your lease.

Both your bank and Lanark County Housing will charge you a fee if there are not enough funds in your account on the first of each month.

Phone or online banking payment

You may be able to pay your rent by phone or online banking. Speak to someone at your bank, credit union or trust company to find out how.

In person

You can drop off a money order or cheque at any Social Services office (Carleton Place, Perth, Smiths Falls). These offices have debit machines and will accept cash if no other option is available to you.

 Reporting Changes
Lanark County and Province of Ontario set the rules for rent-geared-to-income subsidies. If your income, asset or household composition changes, you must report the change in writing or in person to Housing Services within 30 days. If you do not report these changes, you could be charged for back rent and/or lose your rent-geared-to-income subsidy. Your rent will then be raised to market rent and you could face eviction if your rental account is in arrears.
 (insert Transfer Policy)
 Tenant Complaints
 If you have a complaint or concern, you must submit it in writing; verbal or anonymous complaints will not be addressed. Complete the Tenant Complaint Form including date(s), time(s) and details of the incident(s).

Before submitting a complaint, consider if it is something:

  • You have witnessed first-hand.
  • That directly impacts you.
  • That happened within the last 30 days.

A complaint is different from a service or maintenance request or an administrative inquiry. Service requests related to your building or your unit should first be directed to maintenance.

Visitors and Guests
Visitors may stay with you for a maximum of 30 days in one year. This can be 30 days in a row or 30 days over a 12-month period, but no more. This policy applies to any person staying in your unit who is not an approved member of your household.


Review the Visitor and Guest Policy for more information.


Contact Us